I first became interested in our family history when my oldest was born over 10 years ago. Although there was quite a lot of information online at the time, there was nowhere the amount there is now. I took a genealogy class (walked in the first day and one of the other students said, You're not a senior citizen! Oops...guess I didn't read the class description carefully.) where I was introduced to the Family History Center at the local Mormon stake. Fascinating.
I love the research and discovery that goes with searching one's family history and I acquired a few items I treasure, including a copy of the original ship's manifest for the first of my husband's ancestors to come to America.
But, I got busy with the baby and more that followed and put my binder of information away on a shelf for another day.
Last week the oldest came home with an assignment - as most kids do at some point and all kids should - to create her family tree. I pulled out that binder and we flipped through it together. DC1 (dear child #1) thought it was cool! Gotta love that. The coolest thing apparently was that we don't know what town some of the ancestors were born in although we know the country. I think it's because it seems so mysterious. And perhaps that's what is so compelling for all who get involved with researching their family history.
And so, it feels as if I've come full circle. The oldest - who inspired my interest in genealogy - has inspired me again. And of course, is asking for old family photos. Which are...in THE BOX! Guess I really have to starting unboxing now...
I am a Heritage Makers Personal Publishing Consultant. My job is to help you make a change in your life by helping you unbox your photos and DO something with them.
But, to be effective, I must must also make a change within. I need to unbox MY photos, organize them and give them purpose.
And I have a theory. The lessons I learn and skills I gain while unboxing my photos can be applied to my life. I can unbox my life, organize it and live its purpose.
Let's unbox!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment